Monument record MDR12674 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Derby Road, Alfreton
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
The General Baptists had a chapel at Alfreton, but which for the last six years has been occupied by the Primitive Methodists . It is situated on Nesbit Road [uncertain location]. (1) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2) Primitive Methodism was established in Alfreton in the early part of the 19th century. There are now  two chapels in the town: the Ebenezer, in Nottingham Road [see SMR 16226]; and the other, in Derby Road, was erected at an outlay of £876. (3) By the 4th edition OS map, this chapel appears to have been superseded by a larger church to the north (now known as Watchorn Memorial Methodist Church). (4) The chapel has been demolished and the site has been redeveloped . (5-6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 660.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 612.
- <4> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 25/03/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4071 5515 (24m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||ALFRETON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2014 2:27PM