Building record MDR12675 - Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Nottingham Road, Alfreton
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Primitive Methodism was established in Alfreton in the early part of the 19th century. There are now  two chapels in the town; the Ebenezer, in Nottingham Road, cost £988, and in 1893 an organ was added, at an expense of £150. The other is situated in Derby Road [see SMR 16225]. (1) There is a chapel situated here on the 2nd edition OS map that was not present on the 1st edition. It is labelled as a Primitive Methodist Chapel by the 3rd edition. (2-4) The building is no longer in use as a place of worship and appears to be in commercial use . (5)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 612.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4157 5560 (15m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||ALFRETON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 25 2011 11:05AM