Monument record MDR12678 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), High Street, Alfreton
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1885 AD to 1885 AD)
- None recorded
There is a chapel situated here on the 2nd edition OS map that was not present on the 1st edition. It appears to have superseded a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated on Chapel Street on the 1st edition OS map (see SMR 16628). (1-2) The Wesleyans erected their first chapel in Alfreton in 1809 [see SMR 16228]. The present handsome edifice was built in 1885, at a cost of £850. (3) The chapel appears to have since been demolished and the site redeveloped . (4-5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 612.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 25/03/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4098 5575 (21m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||ALFRETON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2015 12:41PM