Monument record MDR12679 - Bardolf's Park, Dale Road, Ockbrook
Type and Period (1)
? (Medieval to Tudor - 1160 AD to 1539 AD)
Loading documents & images
Two separate enclosures in the parish of Ockbrook became parks in the medieval period. North of the village, Bartlewood Lodge and Bartlewood Farm lie within a parcel of land which is the suggested location of Bardolf's Park. Fieldwork has identified a long, curving banked boundary, clearly visible and stretching northwards from Moor Lane Farm as far as Bartlewood Farm. This marks the western extent of the park, the northern and eastern boundaries of which are less easy to determine. In the 12th century Bardolf's Park reached as far as the 'wood of Ockbrook', which is today marked as a marrow strip along the steep slope of Dale Hills to the north, but may have extended significantly further south at that time. Two curving hedge-lines edging on to Piggin Wood, close to The Fields and Moor Lane Farm, could complete the boundary of the park. The park had been created by Thomas Bardolf of Wormegay who acquired the demesne manor by marriage in 1166. The Bardolfs remained tenants in chief until 1406 when the manor was forfeited to the crown for rebellion (although in fact official returns suggest the Bardolfs held the manor until 1427). (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 130-131.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4242 3762 (697m by 1485m)
OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 11:01AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.