Building record MDR12694 - Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Sunday School, Nottingham Road, Somercotes
Type and Period (2)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1870 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1870 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat edifice of brick in the Norman style, erected in 1870 at a cost of £1,700, raised by subscriptions, but several structural alterations have been made since its erection. It will seat 250, and adjoining is a school with class-rooms. It is in the Ripley circuit. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and attached Sunday School situated here on the 2nd edition OS map, which is presumably the one described by Bulmer & Co. . However, it is not present at this location on the 1st edition OS map, as would be indicated by Bulmer & Co.'s suggested erection date of 1870. There does not appear to be any other Wesleyan Methodist Chapels in Somercotes on these maps. It is possible that the chapel was in the process of being rebuilt at the time of survey for the 1st edition OS map. (2-3) The current building at the site has a similar footprint to the former chapel. It now appears to be in commercial use, and, if it is the former chapel, it has had substantial alterations made to it . (4-5)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 614.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 01/04/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4231 5396 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERCOTES, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 2 2017 2:35PM