There is a Congregational Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
The Congregational Church was founded in 1821, and enlarged in 1840. A schoolroom was built in 1864, and an additional schoolroom was erected in 1871. The church was re-modelled, re-pewed and an organ erected in 1883. Ten years later a considerable extension of the building and other alterations took place; new heating apparatus was put in, and stained glass windows inserted. Marble tablets on the wall commemorate the pastorates of the Rev. Thomas Colledge and the Rev. Augustus M Butler, both of whom lie buried in the adjoining churchyard. (2)
The Congregational Chapel at Riddings was erected in 1821, and has 500 sittings. (3)
The building currently at this site is labelled 'The Chapel House'. It has a much smaller footprint than the building on the 1st edition OS map, and it is not known whether any of the former chapel remains in the current building . (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 613.
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 382.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4268 5270 (21m by 27m)
RIDDINGS, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2018 2:57PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.