Monument record MDR12710 - United Methodist Free Chapel (site of), High Street, Riddings
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1876 AD? to 1876 AD)
- None recorded
There is a United Methodist Free Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map, across the road from Zion Chapel, another United Methodist Free Chapel (see SMR 33405). (1) The United Methodist Free Church is a commodious structure of brick and stone dressings. It is of a hybrid style of architecture, but pleasing in appearance. It was built in 1876 at a cost of £2,500. There are two storeys in front and three at the back, the lower one of which is allotted to the caretaker. The chapel is neatly furnished with open benches of pitchpine, and a gallery carried round three sides increases the accommodation. A chaste marble tablet commemorates Charles Brown, of Birchwood, a local preacher who died in 1881, and bequeathed to the Riddings circuit the sum of £550. The old chapel, built in 1854, is now  used as a Sunday school [see SMR 33405]. (2) The United Methodist Chapel was erected in 1876 and has seating for 700. (3) By the 3rd edition OS map, this building was a United Methodist Church. The former chapel across the road is labelled as 'Empire Theatre' [SMR 33405]. It is therefore likely (but not certain) that this building was the newer chapel, which superseded the one across the road. (4) It is in use as a cinema by the 4th edition OS map. (5) This building has since been demolished and the site has been redeveloped . (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 613.
- <3> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 382.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4277 5241 (24m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||RIDDINGS, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2018 2:57PM