Monument record MDR12711 - Former United Methodist Free Chapel, High Street, Riddings
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1854 AD? to 1854 AD?)
- None recorded
There is a United Methodist Free Chapel called Zion Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map, across the road from another United Methodist Free Chapel (see SMR 33404). (1) The United Methodist Free Church was built in 1876 at a cost of £2,500 [see SMR 33404]. The old chapel, built in 1854, is now used as a Sunday school . (2) By the 3rd edition OS map, this building is labelled as 'Empire Theatre'. The chapel across the road is labelled as a United Methodist Church (SMR 33404). It is therefore likely (but not certain) that this building was the old chapel that was superseded by the one across the road. (3) The building still appears to be extant on modern OS mapping. It is not in use as a place of worship . (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 613.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4273 5244 (17m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||RIDDINGS, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2018 2:57PM