The first Primitive Methodist chapel in Wirksworth was provided by Joseph and Hannah Frost, who opened their house for services during or before 1815. The building, now demolished , bore the inscription 'Primitive Methodist Chapel 1815'. During 1828, these Primitive Methodists acquired accommodation at the bottom of The Dale and converted it for chapel use [see SMR 28362]. Of the 19th century chapels at Wirksworth, this chapel had been most recently demolished. Although it had been in poor condition, it had, until shortly before its demolition, been occupied as a dwelling house. The site on which it stood had suffered from a loss of stability due to its proximity to the now disused Dale Quarry. Part of the boundary wall remains intact, together with some iron railings. The chapel was a small, square building of rubble, and had a hipped slate roof. Three sides had a wet dash finish, whilst the north-facing frontage had an ashlar sandstone finish. The door and multi-lighted simple sash windows were set in plain sandstone surrounds. A brick, slate roofed, single-storey outhouse had been added against the east wall. (1)
Unpublished document: Simpson, R W. 1981. The Nineteenth Century Chapels of Wirksworth: An Aspect of Vernacular Architecture. pp 6-9; 20.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2847 5421 (19m by 22m)
WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:28PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.