Listed Building record MDR12727 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lane, Crich

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lane, Crich, built in 1765. 'John Wesley preached in the 'new house at Creitch' on 25 March 1766. The chapel, which is of this period, but with traces of alterations to the side walls and re-roofed c1905, has walls of squared stone and a hipped slate roof. The south front has two doorways with deep lintels and a window between with an altered frame and formerly with an external shutter. Two upper windows have round-arched heads and wooden frames with intersecting glazing bars. The side walls each have two upper windows, also round-arched but with cast-iron frames, and two tall windows in the north wall flank the pulpit. The interior has a gallery around three sides with numbered seating of the early 19th century. The pulpit, of the late 18th century, is supported by a substantial turned wood post. Other fittings are of the late 19th century and after.' (1) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 35 SE PARISH OF CRICH CHAPEL LANE 4/122 Crich Wesleyan Chapel and attached walls II Non-conformist chapel. 1765. Regularly coursed squared gritstone with quoins and a hipped slate roof. Two storeys, two bays with semi-circular headed side windows, with voussoirs, jambs and gothic intersecting glazing. Ground floor windows C20, beneath plain lintols. Front has two first floor semi-circular headed windows with gothic glazing, a central ground floor window with massive lintol and stone jambs, with C20 casement, flanked by two doorways with quoined surrounds, massive lintols and 6-panel doors. Attached low boundary walls, surmounted by plain spear-headed railings with matching gates set between plain stone piers. Single storey extension to LH side, with plain slated roof. The interior, which contains an unaltered gallery and box pews, has not been inspected. The Chapel is thought to be one of the earliest chapels in the County and that which has been in use for the longest time. Listing NGR: SK3504653698.' (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. 42.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1239795?section=official-list-entry.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 35046 53698 (point)
Civil Parish CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 8 2023 7:33PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.