Building record MDR12749 - St John's Church, Derby Road, Greenhillocks
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian - 1893 AD to 1894 AD)
- None recorded
St John's Church is situated here by the 2nd edition OS map. It appears to have replaced an earlier structure further to the north that is shown on the 1st edition OS map (see SMR 24785). (1-2) To meet increasing demand for church accommodation in Ripley, a temporary iron church, dedicated to St John, was opened in 1871 [see SMR 24785]. In 1893, the foundation stone of a permanent structure was laid by the chairman of the Butterley Company. It is a very plain but substantial edifice of brick, with stone facings. It consists of nave and aisles, which, however, only form part of the entire plan. The site was given by the Butterley Company. The cost of erection was about £2,500, which was largely raised by subscription, with the Butterly Company contributing £300 for every £700 collected. The church will seat 400 adults and all seats are free. (3) St John's district church, at Green Hillocks, was erected in 1894 at a cost of £4,000, and replaces the former iron church [see SMR 24785]. The new church is of red brick with stone dressings, and is built in the Early Decorated style. It consists of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles and a small central turret with spire containing one bell. There are 400 sittings. (4) The church is still in use as a place of worship . (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 577.
- <4> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 384.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4002 4962 (30m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2011 9:43AM