Monument record MDR12755 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Grosvenor Road, Ripley
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1850 AD)
- None recorded
The Primitive Methodist Chapel at Grosvenor Place was erected in 1850. It is about to be enlarged with schools added at an outlay of £200. (1) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. It is no longer present by the 2nd edition OS map, by which time Grosvenor Place becomes Grosvenor Road. (2-3) A following of Primitive Methodists had built up in Ripley by the late 1840s. The group met in a room in Malt House. In 1850 the Ripley Primitive Methodist Church became head of a new circuit. This church was in Grosvenor Road, on the site that was formerly the CO-OP Fish and Meat shop and is now a wine Bar . In the 1870s there was a big religious revival under the leadership of the Rev. John Thomas Neale. By this time the church in Grosvenor Road was too small to hold all the people who attended, so in 1876 a group of miners bought new premises in Wood Street [see SMR 24789]. The remaining congregations from Grosvenor Road built a new church on Nottingham Road in 1893 [see SMR 24792]. (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 306.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20570 *Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Page last modified 04/01/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3999 5053 (18m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 13 2011 2:01PM