Ebenezer Chapel, a United Methodist Free Chapel, is situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
The United Methodist Free Church (Ebenezer Chapel), in Nottingham Road, is an attractive edifice with open pews, arranged in a horseshoe fashion. In the centre stands a very good organ, by J R Cousans, of Lincoln. It was built in 1886 at a cost of £240. Under the chapel are a Sunday school and three classrooms; all well lighted. The chapel was erected in 1860 to accommodate 500, and cost about £1,700. Adjoining is the Manse. (2)
The United Methodist Free Church had a chapel called Ebenezer on Wood Street, which they converted from a former lecture hall in the 1850s [see SMR 24789]. By 1860 this chapel was not able to hold all the large numbers attending. A new church also called Ebenezer was then built in CO-OP Square, at a cost of £1,700. The church was able to hold 600 people, and also had a schoolroom. Ebenezer Church was closed in the early 1960s and is now a car park . (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 578.
*Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Page last modified 04/01/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4008 5054 (31m by 42m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2013 4:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.