There is a very handsome Primitive Methodist Chapel in Ripley, which was erected in 1893, at a total cost of £2,075, including Sunday school premises for 300 children. It is situated in the growing neighbourhood near the station, and will accommodate 450 persons. (1)
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition OS map. (2)
There was formerly a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Grosvenor Road [see SMR 24790], but this became too small in the 1870s, at which time a group of miners bought new premises in Wood Street [see SMR 27489]. The remaining congregations from Grosvenor Road built a new church on Nottingham Road in 1893 at a cost of £2,075, and included a schoolroom. In 1989 the Nottingham Road Methodist Church closed and members transferred to Wood Street Methodist Church [SMR 27489]. (3)
The building is still standing, but is no longer in use as a place of worship . (4-5)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 577-8.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Page last modified 04/01/2011.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Webpage viewed 13/05/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4025 5057 (20m by 23m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 9 2016 3:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.