Monument record MDR12758 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Sunday schools (site of), Chapel Street, Ripley
Type and Period (2)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1847 AD to 1847 AD)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1889 AD to 1889 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, in Chapel Street, was built in 1847 at a cost of £2,000. It is a handsome brick building of the mixed order, capable of seating 800 persons, with large Sunday schools and minister's house attached. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2) The Wesleyan Methodists built their present chapel in 1847, at a cost of £2,000. It is a large brick building with a horseshoe gallery, affording a total accommodation for nearly 700 persons. On the wall is a marble monument to the memory of William Penny, who died in 1887, after a connection with the chapel extending over 50 years as a local preacher, class leader, and Sunday school superintendent. He bequeathed to the trustees of the chapel the sum of £1,500. Adjoining the chapel are the Centenary Memorial Sunday Schools, erected in 1889. (3) The chapel and Sunday schools have since been demolished and the site has been redeveloped in to a supermarket . (4-5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 305.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 578.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Webpage viewed 13/05/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3995 5067 (52m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 13 2011 3:26PM