Monument record MDR12760 - Mortuary Chapels (site of), Cemetery Lane, Ripley
Type and Period (1)
- MORTUARY CHAPEL (Victorian - 1857 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There are two mortuary chapels situated here on the 1st edition OS map. They are identified as Church of England and Non-conformist chapels on the 2nd edition OS map. (1-2) A Burial Board of nine members was formed in 1857, and about five acres of ground were planted and laid out for a cemetery. There are two mortuary chapels for Churchmen and Nonconformists. Both are built of brick with stone dressings, and faced with cement in imitation of stone work. The style is Gothic, and the general appearance is attractive. (3) The mortuary chapels have since been demolished, but the site remains undeveloped . (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 578.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4011 5004 (24m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2013 4:00PM