Building record MDR12764 - Former United Methodist Free Chapel, New Road, Heage
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1840 AD to 1855 AD)
- None recorded
The Reform Methodists have a chapel at Heage . (1) Ebenezer Chapel, a United Methodist Free Chapel, is situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2) The Methodist Free Church (Ebenezer) was built in 1855, and subsequently enlarged. There is a small burial ground in front, in which are three headstones. (3) 'Ebenezer Chapel' was built circa 1840-50. It is of brick, with two bays and an entrance at the south end. It was extended to the south and has a tablet dated 1855 above the present west doorway. The windows have round-arched heads and intersecting glazing bars. (4) The building is no longer in use as a place of worship . It has had garage doors inserted to the right of the west doorway. (5-6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 201.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 662.
- <4> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 50.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website visited 19/05/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3691 5019 (19m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 19 2011 11:50AM