Building record MDR12780 - School Houses, New Smithy, Chinley
Type and Period (3)
- SCHOOL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- DATE STONE (Victorian - 1846 AD? to 1872 AD?)
- PLAQUE (Victorian - 1846 AD? to 1872 AD?)
- None recorded
'In 1834, Chinley school, at the New Smithy, was rebuilt, at a cost of £87, towards which a grant of £40 was obtained.' (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows the buildings as 'School (Boys & Girls)'. (2) It is not named on the 2nd edition, and had presumably gone out of use as a school by that time. (3) There are two carved stone plaques on a row of houses in New Smithy. One reads 'CHINLEY / BRITISH SCHOOL / RE-BUILT 1834 ' ENLARGED 1878', the other is difficult to decipher from the photograph attached to the County Treasure record, but appears to be as follows: 'This School built by / Subscription of the / Land Owners and Leypayers / of Chinley and Brownside / and the School House at the / expence of John Lingard of / Astley in the County of / Lancaster son of John Lingard / formerly of Dakins in Chinley / Parish of Glossop / County of Derby 1846
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 594.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(e).1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0531 8252 (26m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||CHINLEY, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 23 2011 5:18PM