Monument record MDR12790 - Infant School/Mission Room (site of), Wirksworth Road, Duffield
Type and Period (4)
- UNITARIAN CHAPEL ? (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1882 AD)
- INFANT SCHOOL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1882 AD)
- MEETING HALL ? (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1882 AD)
- MISSION HALL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is an infant school situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1) The infants have been provided with a separate school at Duffield, which was formerly the Unitarian Chapel. The average attendance is 84. (2) This infant school/former chapel may be the following one referred to by White & co. in 1857: The Literary and Mutual Improvement Society, established in 1855, is held in the building that was formerly used as a Unitarian Chapel. The institution is supplied with the usual periodicals, and the London and Provincial newspapers, to which also is about to be added a Library. Lectures are given every fortnight during the winter season, which are free to all. There are about 60 members. (3) By the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, the building is in use as a Mission Room. (4) The building has since been demolished and the site has been redeveloped . (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 653.
- <3> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 189.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3441 4322 (40m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2016 5:13PM