Monument record MDR12804 - Former engine house and sidings (remains of), Dinting, Glossop
Type and Period (3)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Victorian - 1880 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAILWAY SIDING (Victorian - 1880 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAILWAY PLATFORM (Victorian - 1880 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Historic maps show that the western end of the Glossop branch line became a siding in the late 19th century, following the construction of a new stretch of line to the north. An engine house had been built by 1898. (1, 2) A further short stretch of siding and several small buildings were added in the early 20th century. (3) This area became the Dinting Railway Centre, a museum of preserved steam locomotives dating back to 1885. The locomotives were regularly steamed on Sundays and Bank Holidays. (4) Comments on YouTube accompanying videos showing the derelict museum site indicate that an auction took place in September 2010. An attempt was made to buy the site for preservation; however, this was unsuccessful. The videos themselves show the engine shed, as well as other buildings (?relating to the platform on the Manchester side?). (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II-11, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.1.
- <5> SDR21137 *Internet Web Site: www.youtube.com. Videos uploaded 13/6/2010 and 16/9/2010; viewed 06/06/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0212 9463 (231m by 160m)|
|Civil Parish||GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:52PM