Historic maps show that the western end of the Glossop branch line became a siding in the late 19th century, following the construction of a new stretch of line to the north. An engine house had been built by 1898. (1, 2) A further short stretch of siding and several small buildings were added in the early 20th century. (3)
This area became the Dinting Railway Centre, a museum of preserved steam locomotives dating back to 1885. The locomotives were regularly steamed on Sundays and Bank Holidays. (4)
Comments on YouTube accompanying videos showing the derelict museum site indicate that an auction took place in September 2010. An attempt was made to buy the site for preservation; however, this was unsuccessful. The videos themselves show the engine shed, as well as other buildings (?relating to the platform on the Manchester side?). (5)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II-11, 1898.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.1.
*Internet Web Site: www.youtube.com. Videos uploaded 13/6/2010 and 16/9/2010; viewed 06/06/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0212 9463 (231m by 160m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:52PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.