The Sheffield-Manchester railway as first built passed no nearer to Glossop than Dinting Station. This was extremely disappointing for the Glossop mill owners and for the Duke of Norfolk. The Duke therefore built the branch line from Dinting to Howardtown at his own expense, it coming into use in 1845. The station [SMR 6118] was built in 1847. Both line and station were sold off to the railway company at a profit soon afterwards. (1)
Historic maps show that the western end of the line near Dinting Junction was altered in the late 19th century. A new section of track was built slightly further north, between the Junction and Dinting Lane. Part of the old track became a siding [see SMR 33313]. (2, 3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0238 9450 (1434m by 741m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2019 2:42PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.