Building record MDR12828 - Former United Methodist Free Chapel, Market Place, Codnor
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1854 AD to 1854 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Reformers have a neat chapel that was built of brick in 1854, at a cost of £350. (1) There is a United Methodist Free Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The United Methodist Free Church at Codnor was built in 1854, by the seceders from the Wesleyan Society, and was subsequently enlarged to accommodate 750. (3) The former chapel is still standing, but now appears to be in commercial use . (4-5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 252.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 511.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 10/06/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4200 4954 (23m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||CODNOR, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2013 4:00PM