Monument record MDR12833 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Needham Street, Codnor
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1857 AD to 1857 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It appears to have been superseded by a chapel on Wright Street by the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 (see SMR 18209), at which time it is in use as a Sunday school. (1-2) The Primitive Methodists erected their first place of worship in 1857. In 1880 a new chapel was built [see SMR 18209]. The old chapel is used as a Sunday school . (3) The former chapel is in later used as an Institute and then a Hall, as shown on early 19th century maps. (4-5) It has since been demolished and the site has been redeveloped . (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 511.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4165 4947 (23m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||CODNOR, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2013 4:00PM