Building record MDR12837 - Denby Bottles Methodist Church, Danesby Crescent, Denby Bottles, Denby
Type and Period (1)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1879 AD to 1921 AD)
- None recorded
There is a United Free Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It has expanded by the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, and is named as Ebenezer Chapel. It has been further extended by the 3rd edition 25" OS map dating to the early 19th century. It is still named as Ebenezer Chapel on this map, but is in use by the Wesleyan Methodists. (1-3) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Denby Bottles . (4) Denby Bottles Methodist Church was built as a chapel in 1879. It was extended to double its original size in 1883, due to growth in members. A two-storey extension was built to the rear of the building in the 1960s. (5) The building is still in use as a place of worship . It appears on modern OS mapping largely as it does on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 19th century, apart from a small extension to the rear. Two windows on the road-facing elevation have been blocked up. There is a plaque inscribed 'EBENEZER CHAPEL 1879' set in to the gable. (6-7)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 519.
- <5> SDR21139 *Internet Web Site: Denby Bottles Methodist Church. About Denby Bottles Methodist Church. http://www.denbybottleschurch.co.uk/index.php?ref=denby_bottles_church. Website viewed 16/06/2011.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <7> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 16/06/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3823 4641 (27m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||DENBY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 6 2015 12:25PM