Building record MDR12838 - Heanor Methodist Chapel, Market Street, Heanor
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1839 AD to 1974 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Methodists have a neat chapel at Heanor that was erected in 1839, at a cost of £900. It seats 600 persons. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) A small chapel was built at Tag Hill in Heanor in about 1810 [exact location unknown]. The congregation gradually increased, and in 1836 it was decided that more accommodation would need to be provided. Following fundraising, the present chapel  was built in 1839 at a cost of £1,005. It seats 600 persons. An associated schoolroom was built in 1847 [see SMR 20530]. The vestries of the chapel were added in 1867. An organ was purchased in 1877. The interior was handsomely decorated in 1892. On the walls are two marble tablets to members of the Smith family of Heanor Hall. (3) The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Heanor is built of brick with a three-bay front and a re-built parapet. It is dated to 1839. The front is masked by a further building of 1974. (4) There is a picture of the chapel taken in 1902 on the Heanor and District Local History Society website. It shows the façade of the chapel prior to its replacement in the 1970s. The 1st floor windows match those that can be seen along the sides of the building on Google Maps Street View . (5-6) It is still in use as a place of worship . It has been significantly extended since the historic OS maps. (7)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 273.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 522.
- <4> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 50.
- <5> SDR21140 *Internet Web Site: Heanor & District Local History Society. Churches and Chapels. http://www.heanorhistory.org.uk/ChurchesChapels.htm. Webpage last modified 06/06/2011.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 16/06/2011.
- <7> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4338 4653 (26m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||HEANOR AND LOSCOE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:40AM