Skip to main content

Site record MDR12845 - Site of Rifle Range, Northwest of Eaves Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Former site of rifle range, northwest of Eaves Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, built by 1869 and extended c1898. According to personal correspondence between a local historian and a County Planning Officer in 1989 as part of the County Treasures Survey, concerning the recording of a 'Target Wall' at Chapel en le Frith, the target wall and/or range were built c1800 for the use of local Volunteers raised by Samuel Frith, who were '...put on a formal footing in 1803 as the Bowden Chapel Volunteers.' (1) The formation of the Volunteers is documented from 1804, disbanded in 1809 following a merger with the Local Militia, and reformed in 1859 in response to French policy. (2) The establishment of a rifle range at Chapel en le Frith at this early time, however, cannot be corroborated by any available sources beyond the County Treasures correspondence above. With the Volunteer Force raised nationally in 1859, the War Office began organising the local groups in into Companies, and planned the construction of rifle ranges or their use. '...The Derbyshire Times Saturday October 9 1869 confirms the existence of the first of the Chapel en le Friths rifle ranges when it documents a rifle contest between Capel en le Frith Rifle Volunteers and Clay Cross companies… The 400 yard…Volunteer Rifle Range was the first of the ranges to be built in the town, its expansion from 400 yards to an 800 yard range is demonstrated on OS maps published in 1883 and 1899. The range was a full scale range which could be used for initial training and all levels thereafter. …This volunteer Rifle Range was closed in 1898 on the instruction of the War Office and "B" Company 6tgh Battalion Notts and Derby Sherwood Foresters were without a rifle range at Chapel en le Frith for some years…' (2) OS mapping dating to the 1880s and 1890s show a structure not far from the butts that uses the trees to stay out of the line of fire. This is possibly the markers hut and could have also have provided storage for targets. (2) Later, in 1910, a 30 yard target range and wall would be built on the site of the earlier butts at the southeast end of the range (MDR23060).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(f).1, with photos.
  • <2> Unpublished document: McCormick, E. 2019. The Rifle Ranges of the Town of Chapel-en-le-Frith.



Grid reference Centred SK 0599 8021 (546m by 492m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 14 2019 4:40PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.