Building record MDR12851 - Tibshelf Community School, High Street, Tibshelf

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Tibshelf Secondary School [now Tibshelf Community School] was designed to a non-standard plan by George Henry Widdows in 1912. It is not considered to be exceptional and has been much extended. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a school for boys and girls at the northern end of the site. This had been enlarged by the end of the century. (2, 3) Comparison of the footprint of this Victorian school with the north-eastern end of the present school suggests that at least some of it may have been incorporated into Widdows' school. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Morrison, A B. 2004. Surviving Widdows Buildings in Derbyshire.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4428 6112 (57m by 43m)
Civil Parish TIBSHELF, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 21 2011 11:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.