St Andrew's Church, Station Road, Aldercar and Langley Mill, built in 1911.
St Andrew's Church was built in 1911-1913 by J S Brocklesby in the Arts and Crafts style. It is built of Derbyshire stone and cost £8,000 to build. The church was consecrated by the bishop of Southwell in 1912 and became part of the diocese of Derby in 1926. In 1987 it became a joint Anglican/Methodist Church. (1)
Religious services were originally held in a room above a builder's workshop on Elnor Street. When this room became too small, a temporary iron church was put up on the corner of Elnor Street in 1895. When, in turn, this structure became too small, the building of St Andrew's Church began. The foundation stone was laid in 1911, with the church dedicated in 1912. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 44 NW ALDERCARR AND STATION ROAD LANGLEY MILL (south side), Langley Mill 6/4 Church of St Andrew
Church. 1911. Coursed rubble with rubble and ashlar dressings, green slate roofs with stone ridge tiles and ridge crosses, also rubble eaves bands. 6 bay nave with south aisle and north porch, crossing tower, transept bays and chancel. Gabled west wall of nave has three stepped lancets with a semi-circular niche above. Flush rubble buttresses to either side have rounded ends and gabled tops rising above -the eaves. North elevation of nave has five tall lancets and similar rounded rubble buttresses between. Second bay from west has gabled porch with deeply splayed, shallow pointed doorcase flanked by diagonal rubble buttresses with pinnacled tops. Inner door similar to outer door, flanked by small lancets to either side of the porch. South aisle takes the form of a long outshut with similar buttresses as those of north side between windows and six triple lancet windows. Transept bays are gabled with corner rubble buttresses with pinnacled tops. North transept has two lancets and a pointed doorcase to north with central lancet above in the gable and south transept has porch with pointed doorcase to east and three large stepped lancets to south. Crossing tower has diagonal rubble buttresses to half way up bell stage except to north-east corner which has circular staircase tower with pointed doorcase to base, slit windows in spiral to top and a belled conical roof. North and south sides of tower have semicircular windows and central clock faces above in ashlar surrounds. Above, bell stage has 1 curved lancets to all sides, east and west sides now blocked with clockfaces over. Chancel has lancet side windows and three stepped lancets to east flanked by similar buttresses as those to west end. Datestone to base inscribed 'April XXIX MDCCCCXI'. All windows have chamfered ashlar inner moulding and rubble outer moulding. Interior has 6 rubble transverse arches to nave which continue to the floor on north side and are supported by 6 bay arcade to south with pointed rubble arches on short ashlar columns with large scalloped capitals and large bases. Aisle has shallow transverse arches and a pointed arch into the transept. Double chamfered rubble tower arch on ashlar double half shafts with scalloped capitals. To either side at junction with nave walls there are small squinches supporting the tower buttresses. Inside the tower has a ribbed groin vault. Nave and chancel have double purlin roofs with boarded ceilings. East and west and south aisle windows all have Neo-Norman colonnettes with scalloped capitals. Neo-Norman circular stone font in aisle and similar style triple sedilia and piscina to chancel. Gothic style timber pulpit, timber screen into south transept bay from crossing and choir stalls. Painted reredos to chancel and turned baluster altar rails. Stained glass window to some northern and the east window.
Listing NGR: SK4483346956.'
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. 110.
*Internet Web Site: Langley Mill Heritage Group. Langley Mill Heritage. http://www.langleymillheritage.org.uk/. Website created in 2008.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1335404.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 44833 46956 (point)
ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2021 4:02AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.