The Wesleyan Reformers chapel was built by Mr. Bardill, in 1856, at a cost of £100 exclusive of the site, which was given. It is a neat brick building with sittings for about 200 persons, 180 of which are free. (1)
There is a United Methodist Free Chapel situated in this area on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It appears to be this particular building, although this is not certain. It is no longer in use as a place of worship by the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. (2-3)
Looking at the whole row of houses on Google Maps Street View, this building appears to be the most likely candidate for the former chapel . It has a gabled front, with the side of the building running along what is now Fairfield Road. It now has a pebble-dash finish, and appears to be in residential use. (4)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 278.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Webiste viewed 01/07/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3927 4499 (6m by 9m)
HORSLEY WOODHOUSE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 25 2013 4:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.