Monument record MDR12907 - Milestone, opposite Stancliffe Quarries, Northwood
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Milestone on the west side of the A6 at the southern end of Northwood village. The stone is triangular in section, and bears the legend 'BAKEWELL / 5 M / BUXTON / 17 M' on one side and 'MATLOCK / 3 M / DERBY / 21 M' on the other. 'LONDON 147' may have been originally intended for the top triangle. (1)
Late 19th century 25" OS maps show the milestone some 40m south of where it is shown on modern maps, suggesting that it has been moved. They also record the distances as 'Bakewell 5, Matlock 5'; possibly source 1 is in error. Looking at the series of milestones and mileposts in this area on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880, it is clear that the distance to Matlock given on the milestone actually relates to Matlock Bath. (2, 3)
Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/DAR/04.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2643 6403 (point)
NORTHWOOD AND TINKERSLEY
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2015 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.