Monument record MDR1291 - Farmhouse and possible site of medieval grange, One Ash Grange, Monyash
Type and Period (4)
There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (1) Medieval Grange of One Ash, part of Roche Abbey, Yorkshire, and mentioned in 1101. It is also mentioned in the Domesday Book. (2) One Ash appears to be a lost hamlet, if not a village. It was a berewick of the royal manor of Bakewell in 1086, but by the end of the Middle Ages was no more than a monastic grange, where now only one farm survives. (3) Traces of a possible Medieval Village noted behind the Grange in 1961, but not visible in 1977. (6) A parch mark of three sides of a rectangle that appears on a 1930 aerial photograph at SK 1710 6523 may be associated with the medieval grange (see SMR 10277). (7) Grade II listed farmhouse, two cottages and barn under a continuous roof, now a farmhouse, one cottage and a camping barn. The complex dates from the 18th and 19th century. It is constructed of coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins, stone coped gables with plain kneelers to west and with a stone slate roof. [For further information, see the listed building description]. (8)
- <1> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25. pp 24-25.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. pp 148-149.
- <3> SDR7773 Article in serial: Wightman, W E. 1961. 'Open field agriculture in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp 111-125. p 117 (footnotes).
- <4> SDR6076 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 10-MAR-66.
- <5> SDR1076 Aerial Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1970. Aerial Photograph, Ordnace Survey: 10-10-1970 087.10.423.
- <6> SDR9829 Index: NDAT. 1555. 1555.
- <7> SDR10154 Index: NDAT. 2863. 2863.
- <8> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1692 6521 (243m by 159m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MONYASH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2010 4:22PM