Holy Trinity Church first appears on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. (1)
The Temperance Hall on Granby Street was temporarily utilised for service when the parish church, St Mary's [SMR 21654], became insufficient for the increasing population of Ilkeston. This hall was superseded by the present structure, which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It is built of the best Derbyshire gritstone, in the Early English style of architecture. It comprises nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, vestries, and an imposing east end. The east end consists of the chancel, with a morning chapel on the north side, and was added in 1888. The church is seated with chairs to accommodate 500, all of which are free. (2)
Holy Trinity Church is a large barn-like structure comprising of nave and chancel under a continuous roof. It is built of rock-faced limestone and gritstone. (3)
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1884 by Evans & Jolley, in the Early English style. The west past of the nave is now in use as a church hall, and the worship area is confined to part of the chancel . (4)
Holy Trinity Church was consecrated in 1884 by Bishop Maclagan, who was later to become the Archbishop of York. It replaced a mission church that had been built some 30 years previously. (5)
A church, designed by Evans & Jolley in the Early English style and built by Frederick Shaw. Nave and south aisle 1883-84; north aisle 1886; chancel 1887. Altered internally in 1980 to incorporate a church hall. The church is built of rock-faced stone beneath a concrete tile roof. It is composed of a nave and chancel under one roof, north and south aisles, south transept and south porch. The transept carries a small bellcote. The church contains a stained glass window by Bernard Sleigh (d.1954). Evans & Jolley are considered to be locally important architects. Their works are generally considered to have special architectural interest. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 537.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).2, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 106.
*Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2004. Ilkeston's Churches and Chapels Past and Present. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Churches%20and%20Chapels.htm. Website viewed 08/07/2011.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/601.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4650 4270 (36m by 31m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2017 3:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.