St John's Church first appears on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. (1)
St John's Church was erected in 1893-4 in response to the rapidly increasing population of the southern part of Ilkeston. It comprises nave, south aisle, and porch. The least expensive materials were used and a very plain design was implemented, due to limited funds available at the time it was built. (2)
The church dedicated to St John the Evangelist was built in 1894 by Currey. It is built of brick, with lancet windows and no tower, although there is a turret in the angle between the nave and the north transept. (3)
A typical late 19th century, somewhat austere church of ample proportions. (4)
St John the Evangelist's Church was built in 1892-3 by Currey and Thompson in the Arts and Crafts style. It was enlarged in 1907-11 by P H Curry. (5)
A church comprising a nave and chancel under one roof, aisles, north transept (vestries) and south chapel. The nave and south aisle, in the Early English style, were designed by Percy Currey and built in 1894. The rest was designed by Currey & Thompson and built in 1911. The church is built of red brick beneath a natural slate roof. The west front contains three large lancet windows. There is a tower at the junction of the nave and transept. The church appears in Pevsner's Buildings of England. Currey &
Thompson are considered to be locally important architects. Their works are generally considered to have special architectural interest. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 537.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 251.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).1, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 106.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/260.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4717 4087 (35m by 20m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2013 11:20AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.