Monument record MDR12928 - Milestone on the B5035 north of The Ketch PH, Kniveton

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Milestone in the grass verge of the B 5035 c. 180m north-east of The Ketch Public House. It stands on the former Oakerthorpe-Ashbourne turnpike road, turnpiked in 1759. One side is inscribed 'TO / ASHBOURN / 2 / MILES', the other 'TO / ALFRETON / 17 / MILES / WIRKSWORTH / 7 / MILES'. (1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/KNI/03.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 1978 4943 (point)
Civil Parish KNIVETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 13 2011 11:18AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.