Monument record MDR12935 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Bath Street, Ilkeston
Type and Period (2)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1852 AD to 1852 AD)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1888 AD to 1888 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Bath street that was built in 1852, at a cost of £1,300. It is a good brick building, capable of seating 600 hearers, to which are attached excellent school rooms for the Sunday scholars. (1) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by White's Directory in 1857. (2) The Primitive Methodist Chapel on Bath Street was erected in 1852 to seat 600. A considerable change has been effected in its internal and external appearance since its erection. There are extensive schools, with a large hall, that were built in 1888 in Wilmot Street [presumably at the back of the chapel]. The old chapel, having become too small, was converted in to cottages [location of this old chapel is unknown]. (3) There was formerly a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Bath Street that was built in 1852. Over time it was much altered, and it was capable of seating around 600 worshippers. In 1888, extensive school rooms and a large hall were added on Wilmot Street. The building was demolished in 1973, along with the Wesleyan Chapel on Bath Street [SMR 21684], and members of both denominations amalgamated to form St Andrew's Methodist Church, which was built on the site of the former Primitive Methodist Chapel. (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 281.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 538.
- <4> SDR21153 *Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2004. Ilkeston's Churches and Chapels Past and Present. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Churches%20and%20Chapels.htm. Website viewed 15/07/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4647 4208 (40m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2017 3:22PM