Monument record MDR12950 - Methodist Chapel (site of), Market Street, Ilkeston
Type and Period (1)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1855 AD to 1855 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyans have a chapel in Market street, which was erected in 1855 at a cost of £500. It has sittings for about 250 persons. It is neat Gothic building. (1) There is a Methodist New Connexion Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Methodist New Connexion was established in Ilkeston ten or twelve years ago [written in 1895]. They purchased the old Wesleyan Chapel in Market Street. Their meetings here were not very successful, and it was felt either the society must disband, or a new position must be found where they are more likely to receive support. A site in Stamford Street was secured, and a new chapel was built in 1889 [see SMR 21690]. A large Gothic window of five lights from the old chapel on Market Street was used in the new chapel. The choir gallery and the open pews were also re-used. (3) The chapel is no longer present on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. It appears to have been demolished and replaced with housing. (4) The area is now occupied by a dual carriageway . (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 281.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 538.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4662 4143 (26m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2014 5:13PM