Monument record MDR12954 - Christ Church (site of), Church Street, Cotmanhay
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian - 1845 AD to 1848 AD)
- None recorded
There is a church at Cotmanhay that is dedicated to Christ. It was erected in 1848. It is a neat stone building in the Early English style, and contains nave, chancel, side aisles, and turret with one bell. It will seat 600 persons, all of which are free. (1) Christ Church is situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) Christ Church was erected in 1848 at a cost of £2,600, which was raised by subscription. The interior was very artistically decorated in 1867, and is rich in gold and colour. The east window is of three lights and represents the life of our Saviour. The windows of the clerestory are in triplets, and those of the aisles are single lancet lights. The organ was erected in 1878. (3) A grade II listed parish church that was built in 1845-8 by H I Stevens of Derby. It is built of coursed squared gritstone and gritstone ashlar. It has Welsh slate roofs, with stone coped gables. It comprises nave and chancel in one, north and south aisles and an octagonal bell turret on the west gable. The interior was decorated in 1867 by Harland & Fisher. See list description for more details. (4) Christ Church was erected in 1848 in the Early English style with lancet windows. Other notable features include a 'Kempe' window, a richly painted and gilded triptych and linenfold panels in the sanctuary, and a wrought iron choir screen. The church was demolished in 1983 due to serious structural damage that was caused by mining subsidence. (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 283.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 539.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 352261.
- <5> SDR21153 *Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2004. Ilkeston's Churches and Chapels Past and Present. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Churches%20and%20Chapels.htm. Website viewed 22/07/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4598 4382 (51m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 26 2012 4:39PM