Monument record MDR12958 - Boundary stone, junction of the A625 and the A6187, Grindleford
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Early 20th Century to Second World War - 1920 AD to 1940 AD)
- None recorded
A finely-dressed sandstone boundary marker of 20th century date (post-dating the Ordnance Survey map of 1922). It is inscribed on two angled roadside faces, one side with 'COUNTY / OF / DERBY', the other 'CITY / OF / SHEFFIELD'. (1) The stone stands on the west side of the road near the junction of the A625 and the A6187. It measures 18 inches wide by 10 inches deep and has a visible height of 36 inches. (2) As noted above, the boundary stone is not shown on the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map. However, it is shown of the following edition, and presumably was therefore erected in the 1920s or 1930s. (3, 4)
- <1> SDR19852 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. Yarncliffe, Longshaw Estate (Hathersage, Nether Padley and Froggatt Parishes), Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. p 18, Feature 41.
- <2> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 2679 7944 (point)|
|Civil Parish||GRINDLEFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 12:40PM