(Medieval to Elizabethan - 1250 AD to 1600 AD)
? (Medieval to Elizabethan - 1250 AD to 1600 AD)
Loading documents & images
Butterley Park has been in existence since the late 13th century and is well documented. In the Hundred Rolls of 1285 it is stated that the Abbot of Darley had two newly made parks, one of which was at Butterley. A record in the early 16th century relates to a house in Glapwell which was to be maintained in good repair 'with timber assigned at Butterley', while a later document, post-dating the dissolution of the monasteries, records the sale by the Crown of Butterley Park 'with the hunting therein' to John Zouch. In 1621 there was a sale of 'impaled and inclosed ground commonly called Butterley Park and of the messuages cottages buildings land tenements heriditaments etc lying within the pale of the park. The park was later exploited for its minerals, namely coal and iron. On the ground today it is possible to walk from Codnor Gate along the line of the park pale towards Butterley Park Farm as far as Knowts Hall Farm. The pale follows the parish boundary here but the footpath goes round the back of the farm to the minor road. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 48-49.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4119 5103 (2120m by 1943m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2022 9:24AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.