Building record MDR12963 - Methodist Church, Nottingham Road, Gallows Inn
Type and Period (2)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1884 AD to 1900 AD)
- MISSION HALL (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1875 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. It is not present on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880, but there is a mission room slightly to the east that has fallen out of use by the 2nd edition OS map. (1-2) The Primitive Methodists have a chapel on Nottingham Road that was erected in 1884. (3) The Nottingham Road Methodist Church began in 1875 with the purchase of four cottages on the site of the present church, one of which was used for public worship. In 1884, the first purpose-built church was built in the gardens of the cottages. In 1897 work began to increase the capacity of the church, which involved the demolition of the two cottages that fronted on to Nottingham Road. In 1959 a new church was added to the old school rooms. (4) The building has since been extended to the east, but is still in use as a place of worship . The former mission room has been demolished to accommodated the extension to the east. (5-6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 538.
- <4> SDR21153 *Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2004. Ilkeston's Churches and Chapels Past and Present. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Churches%20and%20Chapels.htm. Website viewed 27/07/2011.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 27/07/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4737 4066 (26m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2013 11:21AM