Building record MDR12966 - Former Unitarian Chapel, High Street, Ilkeston
Type and Period (2)
- UNITARIAN CHAPEL (Victorian - 1869 AD to 1869 AD)
- UNITARIAN CHAPEL (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1869 AD)
- None recorded
There is a small Unitarian Chapel at Ilkeston . (1) There is a Unitarian Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Unitarians rebuilt their chapel in 1869, at a cost of about £500. One sixth of the income of Samuel Roe's charity, left in 1776, is paid to the minister of this chapel. (3) The Unitarian Chapel on High Street was founded in 1700. It seats 300. (4) The Unitarian Chapel on the junction of High Street and Anchor Row was designed and built in 1869 by Mr William Warner. It replaced an older chapel that stood on the same site. The extant building is now used as a Masonic Lodge . (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 281.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 538.
- <4> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 307.
- <5> SDR21153 *Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2004. Ilkeston's Churches and Chapels Past and Present. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Churches%20and%20Chapels.htm.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4661 4183 (15m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2017 3:22PM