Building record MDR12969 - The Gateway Christian Centre, The Village, Dale Abbey
Type and Period (2)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Edwardian - 1902 AD to 1902 AD)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1791 AD to 1844 AD)
- None recorded
The Methodists have a chapel at Dale Abbey, which was nearly destroyed by fire in 1844, but has been rebuilt. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village of Dale Abbey, which was founded in 1791. This building was nearly destroyed by fire in 1844, and afterwards rebuilt. It was again rebuilt in 1892. (3) By the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 19th century, the chapel appears to have either been extended or demolished and rebuilt. (4) The Gateway Christian Centre at Dale Abbey was originally the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. A chapel was situated here between 1791 and 1892, and it was rebuilt in 1902. It remained in use as a chapel until the 1970s. It was bought by the Parochial Church Council in 1985. (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 262.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 517.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR21156 *Internet Web Site: Newton, G. 2005. Dale Abbey - Part 7 - The Village. http://www.ilkcam.com/Specials/Village%20Trails/Dale/050807/Dale%207.html. Website viewed 29/07/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4363 3877 (12m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 19 2011 4:43PM