Monument record MDR1297 - ?Early lead smelting site, Bole Hill, Bakewell
Type and Period (1)
- IRON WORKS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Bole-Hill, south of Sheldon in Bakewell is included in a list of ancient boles or lead hearths. (1) Bole-hill-slacke in Sheldon occurs on a plan of 1617. (2, 3) There has been extensive mining on the hill but an early lead smelting site could not be identified. (4, 6) The place-name evidence suggests the site of lead smelting. (5)
- <1> SDR6682 Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1811. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire, Vol. 1. p. 382.
- <2> SDR3350 Bibliographic reference: Senior, W. Bound MS of William Senior's plans in Chatsworth House.
- <3> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p. 165.
- <4> SDR6081 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 11-MAR-66.
- <5> SDR12241 Index: OS. SK 16 NE 36. SK 16 NE 36.
- <6> SDR9466 Index: NDAT. 0146. 0146.
- <7> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p. 186.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 184 676 (550m by 395m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2015 3:27PM