Building record MDR12978 - Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Curzon House, Victoria Avenue, Borrowash, Ockbrook
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1851 AD to 1851 AD)
- None recorded
The Primitive Methodists erected a chapel at Borrowash in 1851. (1) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Primitive Methodists have a chapel at Borrowash that was built in 1851. (3) By the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century, this building is in use as a Sunday School, and a new chapel has been built across the road (SMR 23858). (4) The building is still extant, but is now in use as a bank/building society . (5-6) A Methodist Chapel, built in 1851 and enlarged in 1871. Converted to a Sunday School in 1903. The chapel is faced in render beneath a gabled slate roof. The front elevation is single storey. There is a plain semi-circular headed doorway, flanked by very large vertical sash windows with rusticated wedge lintels. There is a datestone above the doorway. (7)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 302.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 571.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 05/08/2011.
- <7> SDR21473 *Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/295.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4168 3470 (16m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 11:02AM