Building record MDR12980 - Borrowash Methodist Church, Nottingham Road, Borrowash, Ockbrook

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a chapel situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 that was not present on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It is labelled as 'Chapels', which also refers to an earlier chapel across the road (SMR 23815). By the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century, the other chapel has fallen out of use. (1-3) There was a Wesleyan Chapel in Borrowash that was built in 1825 [SMR 23815]. It was superseded in c. 1902. (4) It is still in use as a place of worship [2011]. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 54.
  • <5> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4178 3451 (20m by 24m)
Civil Parish OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 8 2015 11:02AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.