Building record MDR12983 - Former United Methodist Free Chapel, Station Road, Sandiacre
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1887 AD to 1887 AD)
- None recorded
There is a chapel situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 that was not present on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1-2) The United Methodist Free Church is a handsome Gothic structure, built in 1887, at a cost of £2,000. It seats 450 people. (3) The building was still in use as a chapel by the 4th edition 25" OS map of the 1930s. (4) It has since fallen out of use as a place of worship . It appears to have been converted in to apartments. (5-6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 590.
- <4> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 05/08/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4795 3641 (17m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:05PM