The Methodist Chapel at Sandiacre was erected in 1826. It is a neat brick building that will seat 700 persons, and cost £580. (1)
The building adjoining the Comet warehouse on Town Street is thought to have been built as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1826. It was replaced in 1878 by a chapel at the junction of Church Street and Lenton Street [see SMR 25117]. It was converted in to a grocer's shop in the late 19th-early 20th century, and was known as 'The Italian Warehouse'. It survived as a grocer's until the early 1970s, at which time it still retained many of its original features. At this time, adjacent properties were demolished, and Comet electrical store was built on the site, incorporating the former chapel in to its design. (2)
The building still survives as part of the Comet store . (3-4)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 311.
*Internet Web Site: Picture the Past. www.picturethepast.org.uk. Image DCER001029.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 05/08/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4800 3689 (13m by 10m)
SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.