Building record MDR12998 - Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street, Long Eaton
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1847 AD to 1854 AD)
- None recorded
Primitive Methodists commenced preaching in Long Eaton in 1847 in a small shop at the back of Mr Barnes premises. Their first chapel dated to 1854 and can still be seen [in 1911] as Temperance Hall, Chapel Street. (1) The Primitive Methodists (founded by Hugh Bourne in 1812) had established a chapel in Chapel Street by 1847, and the building, which is now sadly disfigured , has survived as a workshop after a varied ecclesiastical life. In 1873 the Primitives moved to Bourne Chapel [see SMR 28412]. (2) There is a Sunday school on Chapel Street on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 and the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century. The building appears on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880, but it is not labelled. (3-5) Looking at modern OS mapping and Google Maps Street View , the Sunday school is likely to be the former chapel mentioned by Benson in 1911 and Reedman in 1981. The front elevation has had all its openings blocked up. There is still a plaque, but the writing is illegible. (6-7)
- <1> SDR20722 Bibliographic reference: Rev. J. Benson. 1911. The Story of 50 years 1959 - 1909. p 8.
- <2> SDR20732 Bibliographic reference: Reedman, K. 1981. The Book of Long Eaton. p 121.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <7> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 11/08/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4941 3329 (10m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:46PM