Skip to main content

Building record MDR13007 - Former Chapel/Sunday school, Lodge Street, Draycott

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Wesleyan Methodists have a large chapel built in 1830 [see SMR 19322]. The former chapel was built in 1800. John Nelson laid the first stone. It is now used as a Sunday school. (1) There is a Sunday school situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Wesleyans built their first chapel at Draycott in 1800. The present [1895] edifice was erected in 1830. (3) The building appears to be extant, but is likely to be in use as a residence [2011]. (4-5) A methodist chapel, built in 1800. Converted to a Sunday school in 1830. The chapel is built of red brick with sawtooth eaves beneath a slate roof. The front elevation is two storeys tall. There is a central entrance porch carried on Corinthian columns and modern windows beneath segment arches. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 324.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 605.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
  • <5> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. Website viewed 12/08/2011.
  • <6> *Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. LL/624.



Grid reference Centred SK 4449 3315 (12m by 10m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 14 2013 2:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.