A lace factory is marked on the 2nd ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, on a site which had previously been occupied by what, on the 1st edition map, appears to have been a house or houses. (1, 2)
Between the 1820s and 1920s machine-made lace in Breaston was dominated by the Plackett family, who concentrated on warp lace. Out of six warp net makers listed in Breaston in 1857 five were Placketts. In 1861 Henry Plackett, aged 60, was manufacturing both silk and cotton warp laces, and eight other Placketts in the village were all described as either silk or cotton 'lace makers'. Henry retired in the 1870s and the business continued to be run by Henry junior and William Plackett as H & W Plackett until it ceased trading between 1925 and 1928. Plackett's were noted for cotton warp tattings and a fine quality Italian silk warp lace. The Breaston factory was four stories high, with 15 standings on each floor. (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 310.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4614 3404 (28m by 39m)
BREASTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2013 4:10PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.